Global. Collaborative. Innovative. Together, we will transform the automotive interiors industry. Together, we will redefine the ways people experience life onboard vehicles.
Director Automation Engineering
United States - MI - Novi
technical resources responsible for developing strategy to guide Tier 1
automotive company from primarily manual assembly toward automated assembly.
This position develops and executes automation strategies for all automotive
Interior commodities (plastics, doors, floor consoles, instrument panels) with
focus on safety, quality, productivity, and costs.
- Collaborate with executive leadership to define and prioritize
appropriate level of automation with a focus on quality and multi-generational
- Collaborate with Product Engineering to define design standards
that support automation. Support senior level OEM discussions when
necessary to influence customer product design.
- Working knowledge of IE
discipline to ensure automation supports lean flow throughout the entire
- Communicate with passion and
act as a change agent.
- Collaborate with Europe and
Asia regions to develop and drive Global BBP (Best Business Practices) and
- Develop inhouse capabilities so
that we are not reliant on our vendor base and involvement of a growing
technical team will help drive speed into the transformation.
- Production Support, this
position is primarily involved in the launch phase however as new methods
are developed it is important to read across current applications and
identify cost savings and quality improvement opportunities.
- Responsible for Technical team
- Develops and manage an
education & development plan
- Develops and manage a skill
- Develops and manage career
planning for our technical team
- Bachelor’s Degree
in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics.
Advanced Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Business
- Minimum 10 years related
experience in a technology based industry, where automated assembly
techniques are utilized. Demonstrated ability to execute
strategy and achieve results.
- Possess a minimum of 5 years of
- Proven experience, 3-4 “system
level” automation projects successfully completed.
- Working knowledge of automated
equipment systems and tools; robotic, vision, material handling,
conveyors, PLC, HMI, Pick-Place-Pack, Inspection/Test.
- Possess a proven track record
of delivering results, demonstrated business acumen and a basic
understanding of the P&L and balance sheet are required.
- Have held key positions as part
of a business unit leadership team or Operations leadership team.
- Demonstrated competency in development
and execution of strategy as well as in management of day‐to‐day operations.
- A mindset that balances
both thought and innovation with direct and successful execution is
- Strong verbal and written
- Ability to work collaboratively
in a cross-functional organization
- High energy, high sense of
urgency, self-motivated and self-directed
- High attention to detail and
- Driven by very high
expectations and delivers results, not “activity”
- Targets breakthrough
performance, not simply incremental gain
- High degree of credibility to
be convincing and persuasive
- Knowledge of the latest trends
in manufacturing technology and the ability to apply and adapt the
technology to new situations
- Eager to learn new technologies
- Has the ability to accurately
assess businesses from a “general managers” point of view and set
priorities for improvement
- Possess the technical skills
necessary to resolve a broad array of business issues; leading the
implementation of the business system across the enterprise
Apply online now