Global. Collaborative. Innovative. Together, we will transform the automotive interiors industry. Together, we will redefine the ways people experience life onboard vehicles.
Director of Automation Engineering
United States - MI - Holland
resources responsible for developing strategy to guide Tier 1 automotive company
from primarily manual assembly toward automated assembly. This position
develops and executes automation strategies for all automotive Interior commodities
(plastics, doors, floor consoles, instrument panels) with focus on safety,
quality, productivity, and costs.
with executive leadership to define and prioritize appropriate level of
automation with a focus on quality and multi-generational flexibility.
with Product Engineering to define design standards that support
automation. Support senior level OEM
discussions when necessary to influence customer product design.
knowledge of IE discipline to ensure automation supports lean flow throughout
the entire factory.
with passion and act as a change agent.
with Europe and Asia regions to develop and drive Global BBP (Best Business
Practices) and speed.
inhouse capabilities so that we are not reliant on our vendor base and
involvement of a growing technical team will help drive speed into the
Support, this position is primarily involved in the launch phase however as new
methods are developed it is important to read across current applications and
identify cost savings and quality improvement opportunities.
for Technical team growth/development/training
- Develops and manage an education & development plan
- Develops and manage a skill assessment matrix
- Develops and manage career planning for our technical team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics. Advanced Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Business strongly preferred.
- Minimum 10 years related experience in a technology based industry, where automated assembly techniques are utilized. Demonstrated ability to execute strategy and achieve results.
- Possess a minimum of 5 years of leadership experience.
- Proven experience, 3-4 “system level” automation projects successfully completed.
- Working knowledge of automated equipment systems and tools; robotic, vision, material handling, conveyors, PLC, HMI, Pick-Place-Pack, Inspection/Test.
- Possess a proven track record of delivering results, demonstrated business acumen and a basic understanding of the P&L and balance sheet are required.
- Have held key positions as part of a business unit leadership team or Operations leadership team.
- Demonstrated competency in development and execution of strategy as well as in management of day‐to‐day operations.
- A mindset that balances both thought and innovation with direct and successful execution is critical.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional organization
- High energy, high sense of urgency, self-motivated and self-directed
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Driven by very high expectations and delivers results, not “activity”
- Targets breakthrough performance, not simply incremental gain
- High degree of credibility to be convincing and persuasive
- Knowledge of the latest trends in manufacturing technology and the ability to apply and adapt the technology to new situations
- Eager to learn new technologies and methodologies
- Has the ability to accurately assess businesses from a “general managers” point of view and set priorities for improvement
- Possess the technical skills necessary to resolve a broad array of business issues; leading the implementation of the business system across the enterprise